Llarrinda Bed & Breakfast
Caring for our environment
Llarrinda Bed & Breakfast acknowledges Aboriginal people as the traditional custodians of the land on which we live. We respect their cultural and spiritual connections to this country and commit to nurturing the land on which we operate.
Long before we opened our home to Bed and Breakfast guests, Larry and I were committed to caring for our environment and doing everything within our power to minimise our negative impacts on it. Today, as operators of luxury B & B accommodation near Wilsons Prom, treading lightly is more important to us than ever before, and environmental responsibility underpins everything we do.
In May 2016 Llarrinda Bed and Breakfast achieved Platinum level GreenLeader status in the TripAdvisor GreenLeaders program, which recognises properties around the world that are committed to environmental sustainability.
The TripAdvisor GreenLeaders program was developed in consultation with the United Nations Environment Programme, the U.S. Green Building Council, and ENERGY STAR, among other leading environmental organisations, and we feel honoured to be ranked among the best practice accommodation providers in the world, and the best in Australia.
Our passion for the environment is aided by our membership of organisations such as Landcare, Land for Wildlife, Birds Australia, the Australian Conservation Foundation, Environment Victoria and many others.
Here are some of the criteria against which we were judged:
- Solar hot water
- 4.3 kw Solar photovoltaic panels
- Double glazing and low-E coating on windows
- Smart design strategies to reduce energy use for heating and cooling
- Recycling of paper, glass, cardboard, plastic and metal
- Home grown fruit and veggies
- Composting food and garden waste
- LED interior and exterior light bulbs
- Guest TVs, refrigerators and air conditioning units all Energy Rated
- Energy Rated kitchen and laundry appliances
- Energy audit conducted and recommendations implemented
- Exterior automatic lighting controls
- Environmentally friendly (home made) cleaning products
- Recycled, salvaged, locally produced furniture
- Refillable soap/shampoo dispensers in bathrooms
- Diverting waste from landfills
- Safe disposal of hazardous materials: printer cartridges and batteries
- Non-toxic methods to control pests and minimise chemicals
- Creating a bio-diverse habitat where birds maintain a natural balance
- Minimal use of herbicides, pesticides and chemicals for landscaping
- Majority use of native plants
- Rainwater collection, water detaining ponds
- Involvement in local conservation efforts
- Purchase of organic, Fair Trade, Rainforest Alliance and locally grown products
- Recycled and FSC certified loo rolls and other paper products
- ... and more.
We are always looking for new ways to minimise our impact on the environment and we would welcome your suggestions as to what we can do better.